Thursday, July 24, 2008

9th Divvy - The Australian 9th Division 1940-1945



Welcome to the 9th Divvy!



The 9th Divvy is the blog that I am keeping as I research the exploits of the Australian 9th Division during the Second World War. I hope you learn as much as I have about the forgotten heroes of Australia. I aim to raise awareness in subsequent generations of Australians about just what life was like for a digger in the 9th Division on active service. I plan to profile the people, places and events that forged the legend that is the 9th Division.



To open with I will share with you a famous quote I found made by Major-General Francis de Guingaund. The Major-General was the Chief of Staff of Field Marshall Bernard Law Montgomery's Land Force HQ. On the morning of the 6th June, 1944 as the invasion fleet of Operation Overlord set sail for the shores of France from England, the Major-General was heard to sigh and state;



"My God, I wish we had 9th Australian Division with us this morning".



Hearing this quote makes me beam with pride, not only because I am a proud Australian but because my Grandfather was a member of the 9th Division. More on him later, but for now I will welcome you all and hope that you find this blog both entertaining and informative.



Lest We Forget,



Tim B.

The 9th Divvy

No comments: