Saturday, August 2, 2008

[Image] Monkey Business at Tobruk

Tobruk, Libya, 11th September, 1941.

Meet "Jerry" the monkey mascot of the 2/15th Battalion.

Pvt. Bob Leu of Mudgeeraba, Queensland, with "Jerry" a monkey soldiers from Queensland's 2/15th Battalion found in a captured German tank. "Jerry" was taken back to the Battalion HQ and enjoyed life from that day as the official mascot of the 2/15th Infantry Battalion.

Other photos exist of "Jerry" at Alamein and later in Syria with the 2/15th after pulling out of the Western Dersert. I currently don't know what happend to him after the Battalion's return to Australia in early 1943 but am eager to find out. I will let you know what I can work out.

image 020807 Australian War Memorial.

As at the time of writing I am unable to identify the service number of Pvt. Leu. I will endeavour to positively identify him and update the record accordingly.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think it's this man:

LEU, LANCELOT

QX8536

Locality on Enlistment MUDGEERABA, QLD